When a person decides to relocate from one place to another in the hopes that the move will fix his or her problems, it is said that person is seeking a geographical cure. While getting a fresh start can work in some instances, we all have issues and responsibilities from which we cannot escape no matter how far we travel.

A case in point is the responsibility that a parent may have to pay child support. Once an amount is set, the paying parent is required to continue making payments regardless of personal circumstances. This remains true unless the agreement is for some reason modified or simply comes to a conclusion.

Still, sometimes a parent may attempt to get out of paying by moving to another state, believing that he or she is no longer under the jurisdiction of the court that set the terms.

But the failure to pay child support is a federal crime, regardless if the payer is in a different state from the payee. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act maintains that so long as your child’s other parent is under the personal jurisdiction of your state, you can request the court to enforce the support order. If the paying parent is not under the jurisdiction of your state, you can ask the court to forward the order for enforcement to the other state.

There are other legal statutes in place to help ensure the integrity of child support orders is maintained. Sometimes, a parent may need help in having these statutes applied.

If your ex-spouse has relocated to another state and is not meeting his or her support obligations, you may consider soliciting the assistance of a family law attorney. The attorney could help locate your ex and work toward having the support orders enforced.