You have a right to know where your children go on vacation

On Behalf of | Sep 14, 2016 | Child Custody & Visitation |

If you are divorced from your child’s other parent and you share custody, chances are you and your ex will take turns vacationing with your child. While your child may be looking forward to this time away with their other parent, you may not be so excited about it, especially if your ex withholds information about their plans or destination. Even if you’re not concerned about family abduction, you have a right to know where your child will be while on vacation with their other parent.

Many times, divorced parents will withhold information from each other simply out of spite. A parent’s decision not to divulge information about their plans, whereabouts or destinations while on vacation may be nothing more than an attempt to be difficult. However, it can occasionally be a warning sign that the parent has plans to abduct the child. If you and your ex have been at odds, or you are even the slightest bit worried that they may attempt to abduct your child, it may be best to speak to an attorney.

If your ex is not offering you any information regarding their plans for vacation, there are a few steps you can take to ensure you stay in the know. If asking about their travel plans does not yield results, you may want to express your concerns to their attorney. Occasionally, an attorney can explain the situation in a way that is better received by the other parent. If they are still unwilling to share their travel plans with you, you can work with a family law attorney to petition the court for an order to show cause. This action forces your ex to appear in front of the family court judge and explain their reasons for not disclosing their travel plans.

As with most family law issues, concerns regarding your child’s safety are matters best dealt with by a family law attorney. If you are facing any of these challenges, it may be in your best interest to work with a lawyer experienced with custody and visitation issues.