How to deal with a combative ex-spouse while co-parenting

On Behalf of | Sep 8, 2020 | Family Law |

Once your divorce is finalized, it’s your hope that you can move on from your marriage and avoid the troubles from your past. However, if you have children together, this is easier said than done. A big part of your life will now turn toward co-parenting.

There’s no right or wrong way to deal with a combative ex-spouse while co-parenting, but there are definitely things you can do to help your cause. Here are some tips to consider:

  • Forget the past: If you dwell on the past, such as constantly bringing up why you divorced in the first place, it will affect your ability to successfully co-parent in the future. The past is in the past and you need to leave it there for the well-being of your children.
  • Focus on your children: This is what co-parenting is all about. Your marriage is over, so there’s no good in dwelling over it. Your time and attention should now turn toward your children and providing them with the best life possible in the future.
  • Communicate: This is where many divorced couples fail. They sweep questions and problems under the rug, assuming that they’ll go away. This rarely happens. An open line of communication is a must. Use this to talk out issues, avoid trouble and ensure that you’re on the same page with how you’re raising your children.
  • Walk away: It’s likely that you’ll come face to face with a situation that doesn’t look good. For example, you’re extremely upset with a decision your ex made in regard to raising your children. As tensions rise, you can see an argument coming from a mile away. Rather than escalate the situation, take a deep breath and walk away.

These are just a few of the many things you can do to better deal with a combative ex-spouse while co-parenting.

Once you settle into a routine, it’s your hope that the two of you are able to put your differences aside to assure that your children receive the guidance they need to thrive.

Should your ex-spouse continue to make this difficult, it could be time to revisit your parenting agreement and request a modification from the court.