What happens when the other parent won’t pay child support?

On Behalf of | Oct 27, 2020 | Child Support |

Both Colorado parents have the obligation of financially supporting their children until they reach adulthood. Most parents take this obligation seriously, working together even after a divorce to make sure their kids have what they need for a successful future. Unfortunately, this does not always happen, and one parent may refuse to pay child support to the custodial parent.

If you are the custodial parent, you know how expensive it is to raise kids on your own. From food and clothing to health care and education, you know firsthand how important it is to get financial support from the other parent. When he or she refuses to make regular payments as required by your support agreement, it is more than just an inconvenience. You may need to explore options for enforcement and ways you can compel the other parent to do what is a requirement.

Enforcement options

In some cases, a simple conversation with the other parent may be enough. You might be able to talk with him or her about why you need support and what you will do if you do not receive it. If this does not work, it may be necessary to take your concerns to a family court. Some of the possible remedies for failure to pay child support include:

  • Suspension of his or her occupational license
  • Withholding a federal tax return
  • Suspension of the payee’s business license
  • Revocation of supporting parent’s driver’s license
  • Garnishment of his or her wages
  • Seizing of his or her property

Any of these enforcement measures may be effective, compelling the other parent to do what the support order mandates. However, the other parent may move, ignore your efforts and refuse to follow the court’s orders. If this happens, the next possible way to penalize a delinquent payee is the threat of jail time for contempt of court.

Don’t fight for support alone

If you are waiting for support from the other parent, you have options. Instead of hoping for cooperation, fighting with the other parent and experiencing increasing frustration, you can work with an experienced attorney at every step. Your legal ally can explain the options available to you, which may include taking your concerns to court. If it’s necessary for you to seek enforcement of your child support order, you do not have to fight this battle alone.