Main Navigation
${}${SEMFirmNameAlt} | Rebecca I. Gumaer, Attorney at Law

Call Today for a free consultation


January 2016 Archives

What can a part-time father do to maintain a bond with his child?

A divorce is never easy for a family. It can be especially difficult for a father who no longer lives in the same house as his children. In this situation, a man may feel unsure about his place in his children's lives. In setting the stage for this next phase of his life, a man has many important decisions to make which could affect his relationship with his children.

Late music icon may have helped advance gay rights

There was much cause for celebration this past year when the U.S. Supreme Court rendered its decision legalizing same-sex marriage throughout the country. Yet, as those who take an interest in LGBT history likely understand, the decision was a part of a progression that had been going on for some time.

Three things you should do to protect your assets during your divorce

For couples going through a divorce, their immediate concerns often focus on getting things finalized as soon as possible. They simply want to move forward with their lives. However, it is important these couples understand that this is a serious process, and they need to know the impact that these decisions can have upon their financial future.

You don't have to feel alone when going through a divorce

When couples get married, they often do so because they believe they will always be friends and able to confide in one another. Unfortunately, the dynamics of a relationship can change over time. Trust can become suspicion and love can turn to acrimony. It is not uncommon for someone to become dependent upon a spouse for emotional support and when the relationship is torn, it is very easy for that person to feel alone.

Which parent gets the dependency exemption after the divorce?

Hopefully, the new year will bring you positive changes and be all you could possibly desire. But there is one aspect of nearly everyone's life that will remain ever-present; filling out a tax return and sending it to the IRS. And if you are a parent who divorced this past year, you may have to alter your return from previous years in recognition of your new payer status.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy