Fulfilling Child Support Obligations

At Front Range Family Law, we have a serious commitment to ensuring the financial well-being of all children. To this end, we help divorced parents enforce and modify child support orders and resolve other financial conflicts.

Child Support And Enforcement Penalties

Colorado’s Child Support Services (CSS) organization uses a variety of enforcement mechanisms to force parents to fulfill their child support obligations. A parent who has failed to pay child support may experience any of the following:

  • Contempt of court – this carries possible jail time and fines
  • Garnishments
  • Liens on property
  • Credit reporting
  • State and federal tax returns
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Professional license suspension

The best course of action is to use mediation and identify ways to meet the children’s needs without resorting to legal or institutional penalties and petitions. We urge our clients to be very proactive about managing child support orders.

Post-Divorce Modifications As An Alternative

If you are a Wheat Ridge resident and you have experienced changes in income or child expenses, Rebecca Gumaer can help you gather the paperwork necessary to petition the Child Support Enforcement Unit in your county. It is important to retain an attorney and pursue a modification of the child support order before the court gets involved and before enforcement penalties are necessary.

By acting before you default on a payment, the court can review the changed financial circumstances of the parents and issue a modified child support order.

Finances and expenses can change, and you may find that the child support order needs to be increased or decreased based on your circumstances. An experienced family law attorney at Front Range Family Law can help you persuade the court that a financial modification is necessary.

Whether our clients seek to enforce a child support order or modify a child support order due to changed financial circumstances, our Wheat Ridge family law office has the experience necessary to help.

Contact Arvada Child Support Attorney Rebecca I. Gumaer

Front Range Family Law can help you petition the court to modify child support awards. For a free case evaluation, call 303-416-8505 or email our office for assistance.